Page Last Modified:
ARTICLE I - NAME
- The name of the association will be the Farmington Hills Adult Hockey Association and may be called FHAHA.
ARTICLE II- PURPOSE
- The purposes of this Association are:
- To promote and develop recreational opportunities for hockey players over the age of 18 who live in Farmington Hills and surrounding communities.
- To promote good fellowship through the medium of Hockey.
ARTICLE III - OFFICE
- The location of the office of this Association will be in Farmington Hills, Michigan in the County of Oakland.
ARTICLE IV - NONPROFIT
- This Association will have no capital stock and will not be conducted for pecuniary profit.
ARTICLE V - MEMBERSHIP
- The members of this Association will be composed of Board members and the players who played, and are in good standing, or participated in the FHAHA league within the previous twelve (12) month period.
ARTICLE VI- REGISTRATION FEES/DUES
- The registration fees and/or dues of the Association will be determined annually by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VII- MEETINGS
- VENUE - Any meeting of the Board of Directors of this Association may be held at such place within the Metropolitan Detroit Area as the Board of Directors shall from time to time determine. Minutes of the meetings are available from the Secretary to those who request copies.
- At each meeting the Board of Directors shall address topics relating to normal operation of the Association, and issues which have been properly put before it by the membership. Each issue must be presented to the Board in writing twenty-four (24) hours before the meeting to be considered. That portion of the meeting shall be open to the general membership.
- The Annual General Membership Meeting shall be held each year on a date determined by the Board of Directors.
- Notice of the Annual General Membership Meeting shall be posted on the FHAHA web site at least five (5)days before the meeting.
ARTICLE VIII- BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- TERM OF OFFICE - The elected Officers shall hold office for terms of two (2) years, and the Directors shall hold office for terms of one (1) year. Terms shall coincide with the League’s fiscal year as defined in Article XVI and apply for either one or two years dependent on the position, or until their successors have been qualified and elected. In order to maintain stability in leadership from year to year, the Officers will be elected for two-year alternating terms, with the President and Secretary being elected in “even” ending years, and the Vice President and Treasurer being elected in “odd” ending years. The existing Board shall work cooperatively with the new Board members after the election to insure a smooth transition between years.
- NUMBER OF DIRECTORS - The number of Directors shall include the elected Officers of the Association, at least one elected League Director from each division of the Association, an appointed League Statistician and/or an Assistant League Director from each division and an appointed Director at Large. The Board will annually review the number of teams in each division and determine if an Assistant League Director is necessary or an additional person is required. The Officers of the Association are the members elected to be President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. A Director at Large position plus a League Statistician Director and an Assistant League Director for each division may be appointed by the elected Directors at the first meeting of the new Board of Directors each year. If a League division is added after the annual election, the Board shall appoint a League Director or Directors to serve until the next annual election. If a League division is eliminated the Director positions of that division shall be eliminated.
- DUTIES - The duties of the members of the Board of Directors are as follows:
- The Board of Directors shall establish, maintain and administer a set of Rules of Play for the League and its players, as well as the policies and activities of the Association. Further, the Board of Directors shall discipline members, approve the budget, approve all bills, take counsel with committees, and have general management of the Association.
- The Board shall determine the official depository or depositories. Two (2) officer’s signatures shall be required for disbursement of all funds.
- The President, Vice-President, Secretary, and the Treasurer may execute any contract, conveyance or other instrument in the name of the Association when authorized by the Board of Directors.
- Unless otherwise agreed by a majority of the Board of Directors, a member of the Board of Directors shall be deemed to have resigned if they should fail to attend three (3) meetings during their term.
- Vacancies on the Board of Directors may be filled by appointment by the remaining Directors. Each person so appointed shall remain a Director until their successor is elected at the next Annual Meeting or at any special meeting called for that purpose.
- MEETINGS - All meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held on not less than twenty-four (24) hours notice by the Board, the President, or any three (3) members of the Board notifying the Secretary, in writing of their desire to hold a meeting at such time and at such place as the President shall decide. Each newly elected Board member may attend regular meetings of the FHAHA Board after they have been elected.
- QUORUM - A simple majority of the number of members of the Board of Director’s Board shall constitute a quorum. The affirmative vote of a majority of those present shall be required to carry any motion or resolution.
ARTICLE IX - DUTIES OF OFFICERS DIRECTORS AND COACHES
- DUTIES OF PRESIDENT - The President will:
- Be the Chief Executive Officer of the Association.
- Preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and the Annual Membership Meeting.
- Have general supervision over the business activities of the Association and shall see that all orders, policies and resolutions of the Board are affected.
- Be ex-officio of any standing committee.
- Coordinate the budget for the League for each season with the Treasurer.
- Interface and negotiate with the ice arena management to obtain ice times for the League.
- Coordinate the schedule with the Vice President and the ice times available for the League.
- Coordinate the purchase of all needed equipment with the Director-at-Large.
- Coordinate the assignment of referees and timekeepers for all games with the Head Referee.
- Coordinate the team sponsor program.
- DUTIES OF VICE PRESIDENT - The Vice President will:
- In the absence of the President, assume active supervision and management of all business of the Association.
- Perform such duties as may be delegated by the Board of Directors.
- Chair the Penalty Review Committee.
- Together with the President, assign ice times to the various divisions based upon the registrations received.
- Coordinate the development of schedules for all leagues in conjunction with the League Directors and President.
- DUTIES OF SECRETARY - The Secretary will:
- Coordinate the distribution of registration forms and any related information prior to each season or as required by the Board.
- Receive and process all registrations as the official registrar for the FHAHA and provide a list of the registered players to the League Director at the time of the draft and to the Board as requested.
- Maintain a Sub List for all divisions and provide an updated list to the League Director and to the Board as requested.
- Maintain a waiting list if appropriate for each division, assigning players to the League Director in the sequence the players registered to replace a player of equal rating.
- Prepare minutes for all meetings of the Board of Directors and the Annual Membership Meeting and shall preserve, in the books of the Association, true minutes of the proceedings of all such meetings.
- Publish all notices as required by the By-laws or resolution of the Board.
- Perform such other duties as may be delegated by the Board of Directors.
- Maintain current copies of the By-laws and league rules and provide copies to Board members and league members at the start of the season as they become members or as they are updated or requested.
- Develop and provide all news releases to local news media and the city recreation publications.
- Coordinate and monitor the FHAHA web site in conjunction with the Board approved Website Administrator.
- DUTIES OF TREASURER - The Treasurer will:
- Have custody of all Association funds and shall keep in books belonging to the Association, complete and accurate accounts of all receipts and disbursements which may be maintained on properly documented computer files.
- Sign the checks on the Association’s account and disperse funds.
NOTE: All checks must be "counter-signed" by another authorized Officer of the FHAHA
- Provide to the President and Board of Directors at the regular Board meeting, and whenever requested by them, a detailed account of all his transactions as Treasurer and of the financial condition of the Association.
- Prepare a budget in cooperation with the President for each season the League operates.
- Be bonded in such sums as the Board of Directors shall deem advisable and the cost of such bond be paid by the Association.
- Allow a yearly audit of the books of the Association by three members of the Association or a qualified outside auditing firm as appointed and approved by the Board.
- Make payments to the ice arenas, Referees Association, Time Keepers and others as required.
- Monitor collections of dues and fees to insure that all players are current and in good financial status with the Association, and maintain and provide a list to the Board of any member who isn’t.
- Advise the respective League Director of the status of any financial problem with respect to the collection of dues or fees on a monthly basis, or as necessary to insure the proper collection of funds owed the Association.
- DUTIES OF LEAGUE DIRECTORS/ ASSISTANT LEAGUE DIRECTORS
- LEAGUE DIRECTORS
- Perform such duties as may be delegated by the Board of Directors.
- Attend all Board of Directors meetings.
- Recommend to the Board a League Statistician and/or Assistant League Director.
- Select team coaches and present these selections to the Board of Directors for approval.
- Conduct a draft of all registered players and coordinate game schedules with the President and Vice President.
- Assist in obtaining team sponsors.
- Oversee the operation of the League and conduct regular Coaches meetings so that all parties are kept informed.
- Assure that all players are current with their dues, based on the report from the Treasurer. Only players that are paid to date are allowed to skate.
- When a replacement player is needed, advise the Secretary and the League Statistician and inform them of the player being replaced, the division and the team, so they may update the official records and assign the next player on the waiting list that meets the rating.
- Recommend as necessary the removal of any Coach or Player from the league for approval by the Board.
- Appoint interim Coaches as necessary for a period of up to 30 days until the Coach is approved by the Board.
- ASSISTANT LEAGUE DIRECTORS
- Assist the League Director in the performance of his duties.
- Chair the Ratings Committee.
- Secure hats and t-shirts as necessary for season champion awards.
- DUTIES OF LEAGUE STATISTICIANS
- Maintain league standings, scoring, substitute players, and penalty information; provide a periodic update to be posted on the FHAHA website and distribute to the League Directors and Coaches as directed.
- DUTIES OF DIRECTOR AT LARGE
- Perform such duties as may be delegated by the Board of Directors.
- Assign all uniforms for all teams and divisions.
- Maintain a listing of all players with their assigned team name and jersey number.
- Monitor the return of all jerseys and forward that information to the Board of Directors.
- Inventory all jerseys at the conclusion of a season and work with the president to prepare the equipment order for the following season.
- Provide the Board of Directors with a list of the players that did not return their jersey so they can be assessed.
- Assist in obtaining Sponsors for the program.
- DUTIES OF PAST PRESIDENT - The Past President shall serve in an advisory capacity and lend assistance to ensure the continuity of the Association.
- Perform such duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- DUTIES OF COACHES - All coaches are appointed by each League Director and approved by the Board of Directors. They shall:
- Communicate all FHAHA and league information to the players.
- Communicate all problems, comments, suggestions to the League Director or to the Board of Directors.
- Collect all ice fees including sub fees and immediately forward them to the Treasurer.
- Complete game score sheets, verify after the game the presence of two referees and one score keeper, sign the score sheet after the game and "run" the team.
- Assure that when subs are used they are registered with FHAHA and are the appropriate rating as the person they are replacing.
- Provide input to the Ratings Committee at the annual Rate Skate, and provide suggested ratings for their team at the end of each season.
- Assure that only players in good standing with their dues and fees current are permitted to skate.
- Oversee the care of team jerseys and assist in their collection and return to the appropriate Director-at-Large during, or, at the end of the season.
- REFEREE-IN-CHIEF - The Board of Directors shall annually appoint a Referee-in-Chief who will be considered as a non-voting Board Member. They shall be delegated the responsibilities of organizing, coordinating and supervising the officiating requirements of the FHAHA program.
ARTICLE X - COMMITTEES
- PENALTY REVIEW AND GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE - The Penalty Review and Grievance Committee shall consist of at least three (3) members including the Vice-President, the League Director and/or Assistant League Director. The Vice-President shall be the Chairman. The responsibilities include:
- To review and act upon any breach of good conduct, as defined in the FHAHA Rules of Play and as adopted by the Board of Directors, by any member or player in the Association which is submitted in writing to a Board member within forty-eight (48) hours of the alleged breach.
- The Committee shall be empowered to take such disciplinary action as it deems fair and just.
- Decisions of the Committee will be reported to the Board at the meeting immediately following such action.
- Decisions of the Committee may be appealed in writing to the Board of Directors.
- NOMINATING COMMITTEE - The President shall annually appoint two (2) Directors from the Board to serve on the Nominating Committee. Their express purpose is to establish a list of candidates to be considered for elected positions of the FHAHA Board of Directors for the upcoming year. The candidate list shall be prepared and submitted to the current Board of Directors for review at the Board meeting prior to the annual meeting.
- RATINGS COMMITTEE - The committee shall be chaired by the Assistant League Director and be comprised of four (4) additional members in good standing recommended by the Asst League Director and approved by the Board. The Ratings Committee shall attend the Rate Skate and provide ratings for all new players, and re-rates of existing players as necessary, to the League Director prior to the Fall and Spring drafts. The Committee shall also provide re-rates as necessary throughout the season.
- OTHER COMMITTEES - The Board of Directors may from time to time establish and appoint other committees as they deem necessary.
ARTICLE XI- NOMINATION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
- Nomination of Officers and Directors shall consist of utilizing both the Nominating Committee candidate list, recommendations from the Board and any write-in candidates made during the voting process.
- Any candidate for election to the FHAHA Board of Directors must in advance agree to run for the position with the Nominating Committee or the Secretary prior to the election acknowledging their willingness to accept the nomination, or agree to serve after they are elected as a write-in candidate.
ARTICLE XII - VOTING
- ELECTION - The President shall appoint two (2) members of the Association to judge the annual election. The Secretary shall prepare the ballots and distribute them at the annual meeting or via e-mail around the time of the annual meeting. In the event that there is only one candidate per position, the Board at its discretion may allow a voice vote in place of ballots by the association at the annual meeting. The Secretary will present the results of the election to the Board at the first meeting following the annual meeting. The Board shall review the results of the election and upon motion of the Secretary vote to accept the results. In the event the Board does not accept the results of the election, the Board must declare the election void and set up a means to repeat the nomination and election process. The results of the election shall be distributed to the coaches via the League Directors and posted on the website.
- In the event that a reliable secure web-based election program is identified and accepted by the Board, the Secretary shall prepare the ballot for use with this system, secure the results of the vote, and submit the results to the Board for approval.
- VOTER LIST - A complete list of members entitled to vote shall be provided by the Treasurer to the judges of the election listing each Association member in good standing in alphabetical order with complete name and home address. The list of eligible voting members shall be at all times available to any Association member during the entire time of the election at the Annual Membership Meeting. All members voting must be in good standing and current with their dues.
- NUMBER OF VOTES - An Association member must personally cast a vote on the ballot provided. Each member is entitled to vote only one time per Officer and Director position being elected. Any discrepancy in the ballot cast shall void the entire ballot.
- VOTING MAJORITY - A majority of the votes cast on the ballots shall determine the election of the Officers and Directors. In the event of a tie in the number of votes cast, which leaves undetermined the election of one or more persons, a second ballot shall be cast, etc., at the annual meeting, until a member is elected. At any meeting of the general membership, the affirmative vote of the majority of those present and entitled to vote shall be required to approve or deny any motion or resolution.
ARTICLE XIII - REMOVAL OF BOARD MEMBERS
- Other than removal for failure to attend meetings, as described in Paragraph 14a. above, a member may be removed from the Board only upon the vote of two thirds of the Board members to so remove the Board member, when after a full hearing by the Board of Directors, they determine that the best interests of the Association will be served by the removal.
ARTICLE XIV - COMPENSATION
- All elected and appointed Board members shall play in the FHAHA at a reduced rate as determined annually by the Board of Directors.
- Team coaches are also eligible for a discount in their fees as determined annually by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE XV - PUBLIC ACTIVITIES
- The FHAHA shall not be used in any way for political purposes nor shall it as an Association actively participate in the political candidacy of any person or any ballot issue.
ARTICLE XVI - FISCAL YEAR
- The fiscal year of the association shall be from July 1 through June 30 of the following year.
ARTICLE XVII- AMENDMENT OF BY-LAWS
- Amendments to these By-Laws may be considered at any regularly scheduled Board meeting. Approval of the amendment may not occur until the next regularly scheduled meeting. Any proposed amendment must be available to all Association members for review and comment before its adoption at the next regularly scheduled meeting. The portion of the meeting dedicated to discussion and approval of the By-Law change must be open to Association members for input. Final approval of an amendment must be made with a vote of two thirds of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE XVIII - RULES OF ORDER
- "Robert’s Rules of Order" shall be the parliamentary authority for all matters of procedure not specifically covered by these By-laws.